Earlier this month I received a letter from a boy. In the letter, the writer asked me why we spend so much time talking about bullying yet always talk about bullying from the bully’s or the victim’s perspective. We give advice on how to react to bullying and encourage people not to be bullies themselves. What we don’t do though, is spend enough time talking about witnesses to bullying and that is what the writer was wanting help with. Simply put – if we are ourselves witnesses or bystanders to bullying or behaviour that hurts someone else, what do we do? Or put another way, when is “fun” and “teasing” not so much fun anymore and what do we do?
- Posted by pbhs / Posted on 15 Mar / 0 Comments Read More
What are you most scared of? Spiders? Snakes? Heights? Ghosts? Closed spaces? The dark? Very few people are not scared of anything yet when it comes to something I wish to share with you now it terrifies them. The thing I want to talk about today is not an object – it is a feeling.
- Posted by pbhs / Posted on 22 Feb / 0 Comments Read More
- Posted by pbhs / Posted on 25 Jan / 0 Comments Read More
- Posted by pbhs / Posted on 18 Jan / 0 Comments Read More
- Posted by pbhs / Posted on 11 Jan / 0 Comments Read More
- Posted by pbhs / Posted on 09 Jan / 0 Comments Read More
Healing… Our brains are a bit like computer hard drives and storage discs. Everything we see, hear, experience and do is wired into our short-term or long-term memory. These memories stay there but some get reduced or lost over time while some remain fresh and vivid in our recollection all the time. It is interesting
- Posted by pbhs / Posted on 17 Sep / 0 Comments Read More
Make it happen Earlier this week I happened to have a conversation with a Form V parent about how the time his son had left at Boys High was diminishing rapidly. There was a strange and sad regret in his voice as he said how much the school meant to his son and how both
- Posted by pbhs / Posted on 07 Sep / 0 Comments Read More
Moderation I have opposing thoughts about the topic of today’s assembly. On the one hand, I enjoy the challenge of this particular activity and the skills it teaches. On the other I dislike some of the softer skills it doesn’t. Today I want to talk about gaming and computer gaming in particular. I am old
- Posted by pbhs / Posted on 03 Aug / 0 Comments Read More
“The Guy in the Glass” Today’s assembly was inspired by two people – one who sent me a video of Mark Andrews’ (ex Springbok lock) talk to the rugby players at the opening of the Kearsney Festival of which we were a part and someone who asked me to look at a book titled “At
- Posted by pbhs / Posted on 27 Jul / 0 Comments Read More